community-dev mailing list archives

From Gunnar Tapper <tapper.gun...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Documentation
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 17:57:51 GMT
Hi,

I've created a lot of documentation for Trafodion using Asciidoc, which
allows the project to include the documentation with the source. It's OK
but also complicated when wanting to provide PDF versions of the manuals
due to font issues and other things.

Talking with other contributors, there's a clear preference to use Apache
OpenOffice for documentation. Beyond usability (and therefore more
willingness to document), it also makes translation easier. We have lots
and lots of documentation (http://trafodion.apache.org/documentation.html)
and are trying to get tech writer contributors to engage, which makes word
processor support more important.

Has anyone used OpenOffice for documentation before? If so, how is it
handled with source control etc? (OpenOffice files are really zip archives
with multiple files in them.)

Thoughts?

--
Thanks,