community-dev mailing list archives

From "Manfred Moser" <manf...@simpligility.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Documentation
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2016 18:10:34 GMT
Switching from Asciidoc to OpenOffice seems like a recipe for disaster to me. Asciidoc (or
asciidoctor) is very capable for PDF creation and is used in publishing companies like OReilly.

And as you mentioned you can use your version control system nicely. With OpenOffice you would
loose the ability to do changes reviews and so on and you would basically manage binary files
in your Git repo.

If OpenOffice could pick up a folder (that is the extracted zip of the file format) and you
could version control that the situation would be different, but from all I know that is not
possible. Maybe you could hack something together that does that though. Like some sort of
ignore file for the binaries and a build script that unzips the doc file and then the writer
would commit those.

Manfred