community-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Encouraging Diversity - Update 6
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:58:24 GMT
On 11/15/2016 6:48 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
> You want some sort of "record" to consume. Is a person, on a mailing list,
> saying "hey this place was so bad for me I had to take a break" not
> evidence enough for you that something might be wrong?
>
> As for the rest of it, this org keeps records of every email sent to the
> lists. It would not be hard for you to go looking for context if you wanted
> it.
>
> Asking me to go over all that stuff again (which I find upsetting to even
> think about) days after returning here hoping things would be nicer for me,
> is, well, ... it's not particularly considerate.

I don't think asking you to go over something you found upsetting is
necessary. On the other hand, I have started looking at the mail
archives for your 2015 participation, and I don't think I have found the
right context, or if I have I am not recognizing it.

Could you perhaps save some time by giving a pointer in terms of e.g. a
mailing list and topic?

Or, if you prefer we not discuss your particular situation, could you
give a pointer to any use-case, in terms of mailing list and topic?

This very discussion is an illustration of why "feeling" based standards
are a problem. Some people are not comfortable setting policies without
solid use-cases they can discuss and analyze. Others may not be
comfortable with discussion and analysis of those use-cases. How does
one accommodate both sets of feelings?