community-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: recognizing valuable non-code contributions
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 01:30:44 GMT
Luciano Resende wrote on 10/13/16 9:20 PM:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 13, 2016 12:26, "Daniel Gruno" <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Top-posting because yay ponies!
>>> We've elected people committers in HTTPd solely due to them helping out
>>> on IRC. There is no rule that says you must write aaaaanything down in a
>>> file (code or documentation or otherwise) to become a committer :)
>>>
>>> Any contribution can count towards merit.
>>
>> Also, more than one person who was made a docs committer on httpd went on
>> to make small code contributions. And some not so small. Point being, when
>> you extend trust, most people will rise to that level.
>>
>> I'm a strong believer in handing out commit early and easy. If someone
>> breaks something, revert it. No harm done.
>>

> +1, I just wished some of the existing projects are watching this thread.

This is exactly the kind of helpful guidance that folks should feel free
to write content for the ComDev website.  Much easier to share when it's
at a permanent URL.

  https://community.apache.org/newbiefaq.html#websitecms

And using the CMS, anyone can make suggested changes just from a web
browser - even non-committers!

- Shane