community-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: On wearing multiple hats
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2016 21:28:40 GMT
I do love this answer

Thanks Ross!

Jacques

Le 25/10/2016 à 16:19, Ross Gardler a écrit :
> First, I'm tired of hearing it too but let's not be fooled, most of the time it comes
from people ill informed about how the ASF works.

> We use social controls within the projects and we have a fully independent board to handle
escalations should a community member feel that their (or anothers) merit not be recognized.

> If this is breaking down then its a problem within the PMC not with the process, which
has served us well for many years across many projects and should, IMHO, serve us well for
many more. Rather than starting to look for a solution to a problem purebred by others perhaps
we should look at why they have this perception.

> Here's my thoughts...
>
> Open source, in general, has changed. Its gone from mostly individual hackers from small
collaborating companies "scratching their own itch" to mostly big business and will funded
startups paying individuals who sometimes don't care on a personal level. This has resulted
in the emergence of a different flavor of open source. One in which money and metrics count
more than community and code. I'm the money and metrics model success means market disruption
rather than collaboration on code.

> I maintain that the Apache Way is still a highly valuable and repeatable process that
when applied correctly brings the highest chance of success (where success is valuable open
source code). It is a process that is designed to ensure that those who care on a personal
level have as much influence as those who are motivated by external need. It is a process
that leaves money and metrics at the door but recognizes community and code contributions
quickly.

> I'm not a fan of metrics. They are often misleading and allow any story to be told. I'm
much more interested in people taking responsibility for the health of their community than
taking the easy route and monitoring an arbitrary metric. Those people should be working within
project PMCs to ensure all contributions (code or otherwise) are being recognized. They should
be identifying new committees not a "number of commits" metric that ignores the individual
who facilitates consensus and merit recognition on our mailing lists.

> If a PMC is devoid of such individuals then it is nothing more than a shared code base
regardless of how many new committers are brought in. Those projects exist, but they should
not exist in the ASF where we stand for "community before code".

> The current metric, reported quarterly, to a vendor neutral and member elected board
is "last addition of a committer". This is good. When it goes a long time the board should
ask "why". Sometimes its because a project is in maintenance mode (no problem with that) other
times its because a PMC is not recognizing contributions and needs reminding.

> Do we really need metrics? Perhaps we need more awareness in our communities about why
building a personal profile in a project is good for both career and community. Then we can
help people build those personal profiles by ensuring we recognizing all contributions that
bring stability, independence and health to a project community.

> Ross
>

> ---

some kind of mobile connection only.)