community-dev mailing list archives

From "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>
Subject recognizing valuable non-code contributions
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2016 13:50:50 GMT
Hello, community-builders!

I (ajs6f) am writing from Apache Jena. We've been tossing around a question that would certainly
benefit from the wisdom and experience on this list. We have inside the community around Jena
persons who have done really good work for the project in such ways as answering questions,
providing helpful examples, suggesting useful improvements and documentation, and so forth,
but who have not made code contributions. We'd very much like to recognize and reward these
people for their excellent efforts, but the particular role of "committer" doesn't seem obviously
appropriate to all of us. We were wondering how other projects have dealt with similar circumstances.
We've come up with a couple of possibilities:

1) Just elect these folks as committers with the understanding that anyone responsible enough
to be at the heart of the community will presumably not do anything rash with committer privileges,
and anyway, version control is there for a reason.

2) Create some kind of new non-committer role within the project  (e.g. "Community Expert")
for these folks that might provide some privileges (e.g. special rights/permissions in Jira
or to the documentation base) without full committer rights to the code base.

3) Elect these people to membership in the PMC _without_ electing them committers. We're not
totally sure whether this is actually possible within the Apache framework, so one question
of fact we have is whether this is in fact a possibility.

Any thoughts, advice, experience very welcome!

---
A. Soroka ; Apache Jena