community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sharan Foga"<sharan.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Encouraging Diversity Update 5
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 16:19:01 GMT
Hi Everyone

Another brief update for you

*Women in Big Data*
The WIBD group have asked for a speaker to present to their members in San Francisco. Kathy
Saunders volunteered (thanks Kathy) and I understand that the plan is to initially do an “Introduction
to the ASF” presentation in Silicon Valley and if that goes well repeat the presentation
in San Francisco.

As soon as I have any more information I will share it here.

*Hackbright Academy*
After the webinar in July, Hackbright asked if the ASF could do a live presentation in San
Francisco to their students and graduates. Luciano Resende volunteered to help out (thanks
Luciano). They are looking at the week of the 17th October and and I've connected Luciano
with my Hackbright contact so look forward to an update from them.

*Draft Committer Survey*
A couple of people (thanks Marvin and Joan!) have reviewed my initial draft survey and have
given me some constructive feedback. I'm going to incorporate some of these new suggestions
and then will ask for some feedback from the ASF members before sending it out.

*General Diversity Approach and Strategy*
I've begun working on updating the wiki page with the ideas and feedback I received from Joan
and Jan. (thanks to both of you)

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Diversity+Strategy+Ideas

This is more simplified than my original draft and I hope easier to understand. I think we
can see more clearly what things the ASF already has in place and where there could be some
potential opportunities. I'll continue to work on this to fill in more details.

As usual I'm happy to get any feedback, ideas and comments.

Thanks
Sharan