community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sharan Foga"<sharan.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Encouraging Diversity Update 4
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:00:58 GMT
Hi Everyone

Another update.

Webinar for Hackbright Academy
This webinar was held on 28th July. Thanks again to everyone involved especially Nick, Lewis,
and the Thrift, OCW and Chemistry projects for helping by providing slides.

The feedback from Hackbright was that it was “ a huge success”. They also confirmed
that it attracted 28 participants. Following the webinar, Hackbright sent out a participant
survey to get  feedback. 15 people responded and the results are below:

1. Overall, the webinar was a positive, learning experience for me.  	(Responses     14 yes,
1 neutral)
2. The speakers made the objectives of this workshop clear. 		(Responses     14 yes, 1 neutral)
3. The speakers were organized and clear.  					(Responses     14 yes, 1 neutral)
4. I felt comfortable asking questions  						(Responses     11 yes, 3 neutral)

Additional Participant comments were as follows
- I had to leave in the middle of the webinar, so I didn't get to thank everybody. Please
include the presenters' emails in the Meetup comments if possible!
- Great topic. Thank you so much
- Thank you for having this webinar!
- It took a long time for me to connect, a pre sharing of slides would be good, for people
who are connecting (like I did) via audio

Hackbright have also asked if we could do another presentation for them, a live one this time,
in San Francisco around October to their students so I will send out a separate request for
this once I have more details of what they would like.

Women in Big Data
I've recently been in contact with the Women in Big Data group.

https://www.womeninbigdata.org

Some of their members are already involved in some of the ASF projects. They are also San
Francisco based and have asked if someone could do a live presentation to their members about
the ASF and how to get involved, so I will send out a separate request for this.

Draft Committer Survey
I'm still looking for a few more volunteers to take the survey and give me some feedback on
it. This is first draft survey that I've put together for our committers to try to get some
statistics on our existing diversity levels. If you'd like to help out then please let me
know.

General Diversity Approach and Strategy
I have some tasks to follow up on and I'll be updating the wiki page with the details.

Happy to get any comments and feedback.

Thanks
Sharan