community-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: New Project - Query
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2016 16:35:43 GMT

There may be others to respond but this is straightforward.

[orcmid]

The code base must be entirely visible to the general public and licensed with the Apache
License Version 2.0.

The ASF only supports open-source projects and the work of its projects is made freely available
to the public.  There are no exceptions.

> 2)      What involvement do contributing parties have in approving new
> additions/changes to the code base alongside/within the PMC?
[orcmid]

There is no special status of the contributing parties.  All parties contribute as individuals,
with support of their employers or organizations as may be the case.  Members of the PMC have
the only binding votes but there is continual striving for consensus among the overall community
of the project effort.

For an overview, it may be useful to look at the Apache Software Foundation "Maturity Model
for Apache Projects" at <http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html>.
 Some of the items are in absolute terms, others are conditions that are strived for in an
Apache project.

> 3)      What is the likely success rate of a new Project proposal into
> your incubator?
[orcmid]

into incubation has to do with alignment on a proposal that is accepted by the Apache Incubator
project, the host for incubating projects.  There is a proposal template and you can see all
of the proposals of accepted incubating projects (so-called podlings).  See <http://incubator.apache.org/>.

However, such acceptance will depend on a proposal being aligned with the conditions stated
for your items (1-2) above.  If those are absolute barriers to your interests, it is unlikely
that going forward with an incubator proposal will make much sense.

 - Dennis