community-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Hipchat Room for Apache Women?
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2016 13:17:48 GMT
On 6/13/2016 4:45 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I discovered Hipchat last week (well I knew Infra were using it!) but
> found it to be quite a nice informal online environment.
>
> I was wondering whether this could be a good way to bring together
> our existing community of women so that they can get to know each
> other and generally just hangout. The rooms can be public or private,
> plus there is one to one chat.
>
> What do people think?

I object to a chat room for Apache women just as strongly as I would
object to one for Apache men, and will not join it. I would be happy to
join a chat room for discussing Apache women's issues, provided both
men and women who are interested in the subject are made welcome.

My particular brand of feminism supports treating men and women equally,
and minimizing facilities and clubs that are only for men or only for women.

Patricia