community-dev mailing list archives

From Tama oh <tamaonakah...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Encouraging More Women to Participate on Apache Projects?
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 17:05:38 GMT
You're welcome! 😊
If there are other groups that come to mind, I'll add them!

Tamao

> On May 24, 2016, at 03:32, Sharan Foga <sharan.foga@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tamao
>
> All I can say is ..Wow!
>
> Thanks for taking the time to put down your thoughts, observations and general knowledge
on this. I'm still taking it all in - but it's clear to me that there are some opportunities
out there that we can start looking into.

> Thanks also for the offer of help on the contact side and I'll let you know if I need
some.

> Thanks
> Sharan
>
>> On 23/05/16 21:18, tamaonakahara@gmail.com wrote:
>> My personal approach has been to work with pragmatic career-focused women (like myself)
because it helps to have some singularity of motivation. I can't solve all of the diversity
in tech issues, but I contribute in my own way by running the SF Women's JUG and partnering
with organizations such as Women who code. So from that perspective, here are my 2 cents fwiw:
>> 1. Career-development angle: personally I would start with organizations such as
Hackbright whose primary goal is to train and put women in the workforce. As I feel is pretty
established among engineering managers and that Jessica McKellar emphasizes (https://youtu.be/IXnNgLmd6BM),
having open source contributions on your resume definitely helps during the interview process.
I'm sure that this is part of the ASF recruiting language, but I think it would help to actively
inject that into partnership activities with organizations such as Hackbright. I specifically
mention Hackbright as well because one of our VPs at my last job mentioned that among all
of the code schools hires, he's been most impressed by the quality of Hackbright graduates
(who are women if you didn't know). They've hired 7 Hackbright women to date with great results.

>> I reached out to my Hackbright contacts and they've said that they don't have an
open source program in place, but they are pursuing it and would love to consider partnerships
with the ASF. I'd be happy to connect you.

>> Women who code is also committed to getting women jobs in engineering, but their
meetups tend to have a lot of beginners from my own experience (I've attended and hosted many).
It may be more difficult to inject the "contribute" message through their meetups, but they
are helpful to spread the word through their NL. Also, in the very least, if there isn't one
already, there should at least be one talk on making contributions at their new annual conference.
If you don't hear back from them, I'm happy to connect you again.

>> 2. Focused sprints?
>> PyCon and the Python community in general has better diversity numbers from what
I've seen. I feel that they do a pretty good job at making the sprints at the event fun and
inviting (https://youtu.be/hOtKgFaFcz0) for many. The next one is coming up (https://us.pycon.org/2016/community/sprints/)
so if any of you are there, it may be worth checking out. They always do an intro to sprints
session (which you can see in the above Jessica McKellar video). Since you're already talking
with PyLadies, you can get more details on how they and DjangoGirls are involved in recruitment
for that.

>> WWC meetups and Railsbridge immediately introduce their women to Git and GitHub,
but from what I know they are dealing with beginner coders so they don't talk about contributing
to Ruby or Rails.

>> 3. Featured projects and mentorship
>> I often feel overwhelmed by the myriad of projects that get put forth and then I'm
told "pick one and start contributing!" Personally, if you did some type of partnered session
with Hackbright students or at a contribution-specific WWC Meetup, I would see value in doing
a weekend sprint where you select a couple of key projects to walk people through the steps
to contribute. One of Hackbright's strengths is their mentoring structure that continues after
graduation. Perhaps having some ASF project owners to volunteer as mentors specifically to
walk a group of new students through a series of sprints would be one way to go.

>> 4. Code of Conduct and diversity ownership
>> I'm glad that this thread is here because as Sarah Sharp emphasizes (https://youtu.be/ZCvK_7FagGE)
diversity is everyone's responsibility and so often the minority is tasked with unpaid/after-hours
work to represent a company's diversity or even build its diversity program. The topic came
up at this year's women in leadership conference (http://www.wilconference.org) in a very
disturbing way as well. We heard a good number of stories of women (already getting paid less
than their male counterparts) being asked to put in extra unpaid time to go to some recruiting
event to be the (female or female of color) face of the company. It's important to understand
this as a shared responsibility.

>> Finally, since I mention Sarah Sharp, let's hope that after all of this recruitment
that we don't have the same debacle that happened with her, Linus, and other foul-mouthed
community members (http://m.slashdot.org/story/188877). At least from what I've heard from
other Linux community members, her work is greatly respected and it seems a loss to the technology
that she is no longer contributing. Similarly, Rod Johnson made remarks to the Scala community
a few years ago that it will have challenges growing healthily if they continue their trend
of showing disrespect in the forums and strongly criticizing people who are just getting started
with Scala (https://youtu.be/DBu6zmrZ_50). Members who receive a great deal of generosity
during their growth are likely to pay it forward.