community-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Encouraging More Women to Participate on Apache Projects?
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 15:18:46 GMT

On 5/20/16, 5:26 AM, "Sharan Foga" <sharan.foga@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Hi All
>>>
>>> I'm interested in finding out how we could encourage more women to
>>> participate on Apache projects. It's a discussion topic that came up
>>>last
>>> week while I was at Apachecon. My understanding is that we don't have
>>>any
>>> current strategies in place so I think it could be good to look at
>>> gathering some ideas about how to tackle the problem and also hear
>>>about
>>> any lessons learned from any previous or similar strategies.

FWIW, I know they are gearing up to host a "Girls Who Code" series at the
place I work this summer.  Since I am not female, I do not have an easy
way to influence whether Open Source or Apache is discussed during that
series.  Last year I tried to recruit two of the young ladies who happened
to use the same public transportation I do, but was unsuccessful.  Maybe a
better organized promotion from some female volunteers at Apache could
have better results.

Thanks,
-Alex