community-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: ombudsman@ (was Encouraging More Women to Participate on Apache Projects?)
Date Sun, 29 May 2016 17:17:27 GMT
No the president is definitely not part of the problem Niclas.  We're discussing the delivery
mechanism for the most part, as well as reasoning about why some people insist on having an
officer listed as the "ultimate" reporting mechanism.

My own experience dealing with sexual harassment reports when I was in graduate school is
that the reporters felt more comfortable reporting to people like me who had relatively little
formality in our power or position, because what they were looking for was not a formal reprimand,
but simply to have the misbehavior stopped, without risk of retribution towards the reporter.
 The higher you go up the formal ladder, the less likely you will be successful from the reporter's
standpoint in achieving a positive outcome "from their perspective".   Again it's about what's
in the reporter's best interests: sometimes all they want is a shoulder to cry on, and some
empathy for their plight.  If we can positively change the situation for the better that's
great, but it certainly doesn't require a formal title at Apache to achieve that goal, most
of the time.  But when it does, that can always inform the discussion with the ombudsperson
instead of being the starting point for a report.