community-dev mailing list archives

From Sharan Foga <sharan.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Encouraging Diversity - Update 1
Date Mon, 30 May 2016 12:27:06 GMT
Hi Everyone

A quick update following on from my thread about encouraging women to
participate in ASF projects.

I've contacted a few women's groups but not everyone has replied. Full
details are on the wiki page I've setup.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Diversity+Strategy+Ideas

I'll be doing some follow up this week if I don't hear anything.

A big thank you to Tamao who connected me to her contact at Hackbright.
As she mentioned in her previous post, Hackbright are looking into open
source programs and partnerships so the ASF could be a very good fit. We
have a call planned for 16^th June.

Also on the wiki page – I've started drafting some ideas about a general
high level diversity strategy with a mission statement and some
deliverable outcomes. From that I've tried to take it down another level
to think about what we would need to deliver that outcome.

One thing that keeps recurring is that we don't know what diversity we
have now so will need to perform some kind of survey to measure it. A
short survey seems an easy answer to the problem so will see if I can
put together a draft.

Anyway – this is where I've got to at the moment so any feedback,
comments, ideas welcome.

Thanks
Sharan