community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Help with task: Make our event calendar less US centric
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2016 17:39:39 GMT
Excellent. First thing you should do is give the code a try. See https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/tools/events_list/

It's a quickly hacked together solution but it works. Here's what I would suggest (feel free
to deviate and create your own path, also note that these need not be sequential, though I'd
imagine 1. Is necessary to learn how it works):

1.1. checkout the code and make it run locally
1.2. modify the code to search in your chosen geographic region
1.3. perform a few test search and filter exercises and submit the results to us

At this point we could deploy a region specific instance of the application, but that's not
ideal. So more work to do...

2.1 modify code to make search area configurable (requires adding an admin interface for search)
2.2 add your region to the database
2.3 add ability for users to search geographically (there is someone working on this already)

Now we can deploy a single instance that supports multiple regions, much better. But still
more...

3.1 Internationalize the application and translate all strings

However, please note, that curation of the listed events needs to be an ongoing effort. Everyone
is a volunteer here, so you are not making a long term commitment, but please be aware that
the above work is of no use if nobody does the ongoing work of reviewing the events. We have
someone doing that for anything that it English language but if they are in other languages
she will be unable to help. This suggests another feature...

4.1 Add automatic translations of events to the admin pages to allow English speaking users
to curate non-English listings.

Ross