community-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Some docs I wrote in Tika and Nutch about using Git at the ASF
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2016 17:02:33 GMT
Is this stuff meant as introductory "brief pointers to how Apache works"
at community.a.o, or should it really live as technical documentation at
apache.org/dev/?

community.a.o is really meant as a signpost to more information, and a
place where mentors and existing committers can help draw in newcomers
to our communities, and point them to the right resources for their
questions.  /dev/ is the place for technical how-to information usually.

----
Separately, should we have a simple bullet list on the community.a.o
homepage with a super-simple permuted index, as another way to lead
people to information sources?

Donations -> /foundation/contributing
Legal -> /legal
Press -> /press
Trademarks -> /foundation/marks
Organization / Foundation -> /foundation/governance
Source Code -> new page under For Contributors including SVN and Git
pointers (and, talking briefly about how everything at Apache is in
source control...)
Contact Us -> community.a.o/lists
Infrastructure -> /dev/#infrastructure

All Apache project questions -> mailing list page saying to go to the
individual project mailing lists...

Part of community.a.o IMO should be providing different kinds of
categorized entry points (contributor/committer, legal/code/community,
technology vs. process, etc.) into the same canonical sources.

- Shane