community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Commons Convert
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 16:43:57 GMT
I'm not familiar with this specific library but in all likelihood it has halted because it
worked well enough for those originally working on it. If you have your own needs and want
to add more functionality just go ahead and do it. Then submit a patch to the project for
inclusion (http://commons.apache.org/patches.html). If you get a few patches included you
will likely be invited to become a committer, at which point you will have write access -
how long this takes depends on the quality of your patches and the way you interact with the
rest of the community.

It would also be a good idea to engage on the mailing list, just as you have here, expressing
your intentions (http://commons.apache.org/mail-lists.html) - this gives you some visibility
in the community and helps to ensure someone addresses your patches.

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: Arun Iyer [mailto:arun92phoenix@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 7:57 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Commons Convert

Hey,

I am a Java developer and I was looking at the availability of a type conversion library,
which I have a use for in of my projects. I came across the Commons Convert page and it seemed
like the library might suit my requirements based on the sample provided. But, I also discovered
later that the project is still in Sandbox and it was left midway through its completion.

I searched about the project online and could not find any information as to why it had been
halted. I also browsed through the source code and saw how much of the project had been built.

If there are no current plans for the project to be continued, then I would like to know if
I can take some initiative on my part to help it start again.

I apologise if this is not the correct mail address to send this message to.

Thanks,
Arun Iyer