community-dev mailing list archives

From "Pappagudi Mani, Sriram" <sriram.m...@te.com>
Subject Regarding Tomcat 6.0 Performance Issues
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2016 07:29:04 GMT
Hi Team,

We are using Tomcat 6.0 as our AR System Mid-Tier and we are getting performance issues of
150% CPU utilization as shown below.

MESSAGE: us194px04.tycoelectronics.net - Total Processor Time (150.57%) for tomcat6 process
has met/exceeded the threshold (80.00%)

NODE: us194px04.tycoelectronics.net

When this alert starts triggering, one of our Web Services running in this Tomcat Server starts
failing and starts throwing the below error.

US194WB136.us.tycoelectronics.com TycoApps HRFormTool 3/17/2016 12:33:44 PM [DE] CreateRemedyTicket:
Unable to connect to the remote server at 2016-03-17 16:33:44Z US194WB136.us.tycoelectronics.com
TycoApps HRFormTool

When we spoke with the BMC Support we got the below recommendations for increasing the Heap
Size and also change in the GC Settings as shown below.

Those settings are:

-XX:+UseCompressedOops

-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

-XX:+UseParNewGC

-XX:NewRatio=3

-XX:PermSize=256m

-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

-XX:ErrorFile=\java_hs_err.log

-XX:HeapDumpPath= (Add path here)

Note: Min and Max heapsize recommended is 1024 and 2048 (These values can be changed and optimized
according to the environment).

We wanted to understand whether the above changes would increase the performance of the Tomcat
Server and also resolve the above specified error.

Expecting your expert level guidance on the above issue.

Thank you,

Sriram.