community-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Looking for speakers at Linuxwochen Vienna
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2016 18:48:03 GMT

> On 18 Feb 16, at 05:53, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>
> Hi ComDev,
>
> So any ideas on participation in Linuxwochen? IIRC some folks here have done general
Apache-centric presentations. Would it make sense to do something similar here?

It depends if we have resources to sustain a good booth, no? ("Resources" would include but
not be limited to humans, their analogues, and convertible value tokens of debt.) I am guessing
that it would be fairly easy to come up with an introductory presentation on Apache's relevance
and importance to, say, could development, with much of the message being to underscore that
the foundations of many corporate and government "clouds" are Apache projects—Hadoop, for
starters, but also Spark, etc., and that this makes for good things. That there are also incompatibilities,
both of a legacy and modern nature, and that they can claim to be also open source, adds to
the interest value.

But it would give us a good chance to foreground the Apache Way. I think that's important.

Louis

> Andrus
>

>> On Feb 15, 2016, at 11:18 PM, Andreas Willich <andreas@linuxwochen.at> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Apache Community Development Group
>>
>> My name is Andreas Willich and one of the organizers of the Linuxwochen Vienna (Linuxwochen
= Linuxweeks).
>> I talked with Andrus Adamchik at the FOSDEM about possible speakers of the Apache
Foundation for our conference.

28th until April 30th at the FH Technikum Wien (http://www.technikum-wien.at/en/ <http://www.technikum-wien.at/en/>).

>> Our Topics include but are not limited to:
>> - IT Security & Privacy
>> - System administration
>> - Open Source Software Development
>> - OpenHardware / DIY / 3D-Print
>> - Sustainability / GreenIT
>> - Linux & Open Source for first-timers
>>
>> Like in the previous 16 years Linuxwochen Wien are not limited to Linux but do represent
the Open Source Idea in all it's facets.
>> Diversity ranges from OpenSourceSeeds to an OpenSource lawn mower, from OpenSource
microchip-design to 3D-printing the casing.