community-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: openoffice writer guide
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2016 13:17:05 GMT
On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:31:54 +0000
sajjad sheikh <sajjadsheikh12@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      Hope you guys are doing well. i just have a query about the "column" section of
your writer guide in which it is written that if " the text is distributed equally the writer
fills first line of each column followed by second line of each column and so on". How is
it possible that when we are reading any column the column text flows from first column followed
by second column and so on but the writer while distributing text evenly fills first lines
of each column followed by second lines of each column and the text will flow across columns?How
does writer prevent that?

> Yours sincerely.

Text flows down the column.  When it gets to the bottom, it starts at the top of the next
column.  If you have sufficient text for your need in the first column, you can /Insert /Manual
Break /Column break to tell OpenOffice to start filling text in the next column.

I haven't had time yet to look at what the manual says.

If you need text aligning across columns, don't use the Column option.  Instead use a table
with as many rows and columns as you require.  Insert your text in the first cell.  When you
have sufficient, move to the next cell in that row and insert the matching text.  You need
to decide when you have sufficient text in each cell - OO won't automatically flow text to
the next cell.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>