community-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: HackIllinois 2016
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2016 05:31:28 GMT
[bcc Members, Incubator-PMC]

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney <
lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I was recently approached by Kevin Hong on behalf of HackIllinois regarding
> an event they are putting on as described below.
> Basically, this year they are looking for open source software to feature
> on the agenda (yay!!!) and are looking for keen mentors from the open
> source community to help at the 3 day event.

Specifically, students compete.  Mentors are expected to help their team,
and also help any other team looking for guidance about the logistics and
incorporation of and participation in open source.  The scope seems to be
undefined and still expanding...

> As stated below they will pay for travel and accommodation if you are able
> to make it.
> I've CC'd Kevin here so you can reach out to him directly with any
> questions and/or express your availability and intent to engage in
> HackIllinois.

You can reach out directly to Kevin or Sri, both are on the planning team,
cc'ed here, and we have direct contact details (don't do that on public
lists
please, Lewis ;-) ...

> I already see Mr Rowe Jr and others mentioned below so I hope to see some
> familiar faces and names there when I get there.

You'll also bump into Roman Shaposhnik who has also signed on, and I've
reached out to a handful of other locals directly along with some non-ASF
folks who would be invaluable...

I've seen some concern that this reads like a form letter, but believe me,
their
research and outreach has been most sincere.  I know that they can't fly
folks in from APAC or EMEA on their small budget, but they really want to
plug
in as many of the 1,000+++ participating students from across the US (and
most everywhere else, the student population of UIUC alone from China now
exceeds 10%, although this is *not* a UIUC-specific event) with individual
mentors.  Which is the entire definition of both incubator and "community"
@apache.org, no?

I spent some time on the phone with Sri, as Lewis has with Kevin, and
we assure you they are on the right page. If it isn't entirely rounded-out,
it
is only because they still need to talk to more folks and get more input
into
their designs, but I think they have the fundamentals. Your signup is also
a solicitation for project ideas to connect students to open source, go for
it.

Another surprising fact to at least a few of you, Apache httpd Web Server
was created at UIUC in collaboration with the NCSA. If you ever wanted to
feed the hand that fed you, this is it :)

Please consider participating... and thank you LJM for amplifying the
message,

Cheers,

Bill