community-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Forming a community of Apache fans in China - Apache China Community
Date Sat, 21 Nov 2015 11:26:55 GMT

Ross,

How do you square opposition to a separate china org with the irreconcilable needs to maintain
English as the language of apache with the need to allow non-English speaking Chinese speakers
to participate?

I can't.

To the extent that it is possible, I encourage English capable people from china to participate
in projects like singa, Zeppelin and kylin (all Asian origin projects at apache).

That satisfies part of the need.

There is also a serious need for projects that conduct themselves in Chinese. (There are also
likely other languages where this need arises)

Such groups cannot validly be overseen by a non-Chinese speaking board.

How is a new Chinese speaking organization anything not important?

I don't suggest that apache create such a beast. I would love it if apache veterans help with
it.  If I can help, I will, but I am handicapped by my linguistic ignorance. As it is often
said, those with the itch must do the scratching.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 21, 2015, at 18:43, Ross Gardler <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not in favor of a separate China org. I am 100% in favor of helping you and your
Chinese colleagues right here and through cultural exchanges like those that I talked about
at ApacheCon and you have facilitated.