community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Forming a community of Apache fans in China - Apache China Community
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:17:46 GMT
At this point we don't have enough people in China who also understand the Apache Way to drive
it forwards. We have some really great help from people like Ted and we have a handful of
ASF people on the ground, but we don't have enough to really build momentum - not yet. Those
who are willing can't do it alone, they need support. That support should come from here.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 11:12 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org
Subject: Re: Forming a community of Apache fans in China - Apache China Community

On 11/23/15, 11:01 AM, "Benson Margulies" <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

>It won't be a community if people are unable to follow the discussions.
>I think that it would be fine to handle user@ traffic in whatever
>language, but we need to enforce English as the language of community
>decision making.

Sure, once the decision starts to harden.  But I see no reason to require it 24/7 and only
more harm if we require it.  It will force certain discussions to places where you won't know
they are going on, or make it so difficult that folks won't participate.  Would you really
require English-only at an ApacheCon hackathon?  So what if a couple of folks are from Russia
and speaking Russian amongst themselves.  And you always have the right to ask "hey, I saw
the word 'Sling' come up in your thread, can you give me a quick summary in English?"

>On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Roman Shaposhnik
><roman@shaposhnik.org>
>wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> My initial instinct is that per-language mailing lists aren't a good
>>>idea.
>>>  But I would not require that folks post in English either.
>>>Otherwise it  feels like saying at ApacheCon that you have to go
>>>another room to have a  conversation in your native language.  Even
>>>if I can't read what is being  written by others, I can probably pick
>>>out a few keywords and at least  have an idea that certain topics are
>>>being discussed.
>>
>> There's also
>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2ftrans
>> late.google.com&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7ca932815
>> 08c7544e41c6e08d2f43a0d1e%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdat
>> a=i9Rami39IZVtw%2br4oG0%2bi9bTgM3sEkC6a5Y%2fDc3p4aY%3d ;-)

That would be for me to use if I'm curious about what folks are saying in another language,
but IMO, we should not require that folks use it before posting.

-Alex