community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Forming a community of Apache fans in China - Apache China Community
Date Sat, 21 Nov 2015 11:37:03 GMT
I'm opposed to a separate Apache org, our even an apache project. Not opposed to a china specific
org of its own. In fact I helped create KAIYUANSHE that Ted mentions in his original mail
and up continue to help that community in the ways I can (I'm also linguistically challenged).

As more Chinese folks learn how we work it becomes more likely that a Chinese speaking community
will emerge. Possibly past of the ASF, possibly something different.

I agree the way forward, here at Apache, is for Chinese devs, who are able, to engage in our
projects. Some of which already have plenty of Chinese members. Things will grow from there.

At the same time, we in ComDev should help Ted and others in any way we can.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Ted Dunning<mailto:ted.dunning@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎11/‎21/‎2015 3:27 AM
To: dev@community.apache.org<mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
Cc: niclas@hedhman.org<mailto:niclas@hedhman.org>
Subject: Re: Forming a community of Apache fans in China - Apache China Community

Ross,

How do you square opposition to a separate china org with the irreconcilable needs to maintain
English as the language of apache with the need to allow non-English speaking Chinese speakers
to participate?

I can't.

To the extent that it is possible, I encourage English capable people from china to participate
in projects like singa, Zeppelin and kylin (all Asian origin projects at apache).

That satisfies part of the need.

There is also a serious need for projects that conduct themselves in Chinese. (There are also
likely other languages where this need arises)

Such groups cannot validly be overseen by a non-Chinese speaking board.

How is a new Chinese speaking organization anything not important?

I don't suggest that apache create such a beast. I would love it if apache veterans help with
it.  If I can help, I will, but I am handicapped by my linguistic ignorance. As it is often
said, those with the itch must do the scratching.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 21, 2015, at 18:43, Ross Gardler <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not in favor of a separate China org. I am 100% in favor of helping you and your
Chinese colleagues right here and through cultural exchanges like those that I talked about
at ApacheCon and you have facilitated.