community-dev mailing list archives

From George Percivall <gperciv...@opengeospatial.org>
Subject Re: Spatial session at Apache: Big Data North America - Call for interest
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2015 16:11:52 GMT
It good to see the comments of interest in a spatial big data session.

The combination of Open Source, Open Standards and Open Data is very rich and productive in
the geospatial community.

A focus on the topic at Apache Big Data NA aims to extend that synergy into the area of geospatial
search and analytics at scale.

George

<mailto:chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov>> wrote:

> FYI too - George (from the OGC) asked me what I thought about organizing
> such a session and I told him to come to this list :) He included Martin
> and others on the discussion.
>
> So, here’s here on the list so let’s discuss :)
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

> On Nov 6, 2015, at 10:58 AM, Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisseaux@geomatys.com>
wrote:

> Thanks George, I think that such session would be very welcome! In the
> last ApacheConf meetings I got the feeling that some Apache projects
> were starting work on geospatial data, but not all of them were aware of
> existing standards and the risk of underestimating the challenges of
> geospatial applications.
>
> I do not know yet if I could attend to this ApacheConf (May 9th to 12 in
> Vancouver), but if I have a chance for sure I will not miss the session!
>
>    Martin

> Le 06/11/15 15:03, George Percivall a écrit :
>> This a call for interest for in a spatial data session at Apache: Big Data North
America.

>> Spatial data is big data - multiple Apache projects address spatial data.  This proposed
session seeks coordination of spatial information implementations across Apache projects.
  Several Apache projects are implementing geospatial functionalities and there is an opportunity
to discuss approaches.   One opportunity is to consider the use of open standards to increase
interoperability and code reuse.  Relevant standards include ISO 19115 for geospatial metadata.
OGC standards include Simple Features, coordinate reference systems and WKT, GeoSPARQL. coverages
and DGGS.