community-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Requirements for porting an Apache project
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 00:17:22 GMT
Rishabh Tulsian wrote on 10/25/15 10:26 PM:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what are the requirements to follow when porting an Apache
> project. I plan to port a few apache projects to Go as I attempt to learn
> the Go language.
>
> Is it sufficient to release the ported project under the same license as
> the original Apache project and mention a reference to the original Apache
> project in the README?

We have a FAQ that outlines in general terms what the license means:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html

In general, you're free to re-use Apache licensed software for virtually
any purpose, as long as you follow the basic conditions in the license -
not using our trademarks, and including any LICENSE and NOTICE files
with your distribution from the original Apache software.

You can license *your* portions of your software under your own license
if you want, but usually it's just easiest to use the Apache license for
the whole thing.

Good luck, sounds like an interesting project.

- Shane