community-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Overlapping role descriptions
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:35:29 GMT
On 26.09.2015 14:45, Pierre Smits wrote:
> It is all about removing potential confusion and sending clear messages.
>
> *re: user*
> A user benefits from the contributions. He/she or them (the organisation)
> can happily do so without ever interacting with a projects community. They
> may even be a subscriber to any or all mailing lists of the ASF without
> ever posting anything to a mailing list. They may also enhance the works of
> a project without sharing it with the project. Hence the part about users
> contributing should removed from the definition.

You've not said *why* you think that users can't be contributors. That's
totally at odds with the inclusive communities we're trying to build
here. A developer can also be a user, a user can also be a contributor.
The roles *do* overlap and that's what the current definitions describe.
Which of course does not meant that they *have* to overlap in any
particular case.

It ain't broken so don't try to fix it. You're the first person I've
ever heard of who thinks there should be a wall between users and
developers.

-- Brane