community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving Apache Extras
Date Sat, 05 Sep 2015 14:25:35 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> It is useful that this kind of feedback reaches ComDev, so projects learn
> from each other and can make informed decisions.

As Jan and me have written several times, OpenOffice moved its "Extras"
area (which, in the OpenOffice case, consists simply in a binary file
repository for some build dependencies) to SourceForge months ago.

In the OpenOffice case SourceForge was a natural choice anyway since
they host the OpenOffice binary downloads and they are quite reliable
from a technical point of view.

Of course, the SourceForge reputation incidents were discussed at length
on the OpenOffice lists (even though OpenOffice was unaffected at all;
they were discussed as a matter of principle) and you can find
everything in the archives. I'll note that they fixed the issue they had
caused:
http://sourceforge.net/blog/project-mirroring-policies-will-be-revisited-with-our-community-panel-existing-mirrors-removed/

and they also implemented better control on the ads they display. I'm
confident they have learnt to behave.

Regards,
   Andrea.