community-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: What is the legal basis for enforcing release policies at ASF?
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 22:23:41 GMT
In my opinion, yes.

I reserve the right to change my mind based on further input from others ;-)

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Roman Shaposhnik<mailto:roman@shaposhnik.org>
Sent: ‎8/‎25/‎2015 12:32 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org<mailto:general@incubator.apache.org>
Cc: ComDev<mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
Subject: Re: What is the legal basis for enforcing release policies at ASF?

Fascinating discussion, who started this thread? ;-)

On a more serious note (actually, very serious one):

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Ross Gardler
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Our policy is that the combined works are RELEASED under ALv2. That combined work
> is only licensed as  such when the foundation formally approves it.

So let me spell one thing explicitly here and see if we all agree.
Here's what it is:
even though from a purely licensing standpoint a content of a source code repo
(a snapshot but NOT in a Maven sense) most of the time happens to be licensed
under ALv2 (verification at the point of contribution) we, as a
foundation, refuse
the right to ANYBODY to call it a release of Apache FOO. We use our trademark
power for that. It has nothing to do with the license itself.

On the other hand, somebody taking said snapshot and releasing it under the
name Project BOO, licensed under the ALv2. Is something that both the ALv2
license AND our trademark policy are totally fine with.

Thanks,
Roman.