community-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Vyas <jayunit100.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slack
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2015 21:17:32 GMT
the asf uses slack and hip hat and atlassian already so the open source debate is moot, right?
 People will use the best tools for the job and so that should be the focus.  I'm neutral
on slack vs irc, but I think if growing the ASF is important slack will be of major benefit.

> On Aug 8, 2015, at 5:09 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (top post)
>
> So, I pinged the nice folks at Slack (and they really are nice!, or at least the guy
I communicated with), and asked them about:

> * open source: No.
> * the issue of uncaptured conversations, as Ted D. mentioned ("there is a huge danger
of off-list discussions…").

> To the latter, which James H. of Slack recognised as important, he suggested:
>
> <quote>
>
> ...our new-ish reactions feature:
> http://slackhq.com/post/123561085920/reactions
> One team I'm in has coopted a particular emoji to flag conversations as off-topic –
a friendly but brief way to say "please take this elsewhere". This probably wouldn't work
for the social dynamics of every team, but it does work in this particular case.

> </quote>
>
> I further replied that in this case that the technical solution seemed interesting but
that given the basic nature of the problem (it’s a human thing), I’d guess that the solution
will necessarily include discipline. Cutting off options is going to get increasingly hard
and we (Apache) run the risk of coming to seem fustian, stodgy, obsolete, old fashioned and
everything else. Perhaps—as with GitHub—discipline and then yet more recognition of the
importance of inclusive community, is the ticket.
> louis
>

>> On 07 Aug 15, at 06:13, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:
>>
>> We use it to communicate with people in all parts of the world. US, South America,
Several European