community-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache ICLA Question
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 16:38:41 GMT
For reference [1].

Kind Regards,
Hadrian Zbarcea

[1] https://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt

On 08/06/2015 12:25 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Everyone who contributes to Apache does so as an individual, and each individual signs
an icla.

> If some other party owns the IP that is being contributed, the individual icla explicitly
states that the individual has the permission to contribute.

> If the agency grants that permission, nothing else is needed. But if you want to make
that permission explicit, you can file a ccla that grants permission.

> There are many government agencies that have employees who contribute to Apache projects.
I can put you in touch if you think that would help.

> Regards,
>
> Craig
>

>> On Aug 6, 2015, at 9:00 AM, Presley, Karen D <kdpresl@nsa.gov> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> My Agency has several developers that plan to contribute to an Apache project.  We
noticed the requirement for an ICLA to be signed by each contributor, yet these developers
do not have the authority to grant patent or copyright licenses on behalf of the government.
 As an alternate solution, is it acceptable for the person who has the authority to grant
these IP rights sign an ICLA on behalf of all developers which, thereby listing all government
contributors?