community-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache ICLA Question
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 16:25:13 GMT
Hi,

Everyone who contributes to Apache does so as an individual, and each individual signs an
icla.

If some other party owns the IP that is being contributed, the individual icla explicitly
states that the individual has the permission to contribute.

If the agency grants that permission, nothing else is needed. But if you want to make that
permission explicit, you can file a ccla that grants permission.

There are many government agencies that have employees who contribute to Apache projects.
I can put you in touch if you think that would help.

Regards,

Craig

> On Aug 6, 2015, at 9:00 AM, Presley, Karen D <kdpresl@nsa.gov> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> My Agency has several developers that plan to contribute to an Apache project.  We noticed
the requirement for an ICLA to be signed by each contributor, yet these developers do not
have the authority to grant patent or copyright licenses on behalf of the government.  As
an alternate solution, is it acceptable for the person who has the authority to grant these
IP rights sign an ICLA on behalf of all developers which, thereby listing all government contributors?

> Thanks in advance for your assistance,
>

> Karen

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation