community-dev mailing list archives

From Ajoy Bhatia <ajoy.bha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Subscriber
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2015 14:37:44 GMT
Hi Ravindranath,

I am a recent newcomer to ASF, too. Here are some wiki pages that help
newcomers get oriented. You might have seen them already but I still
thought of letting you know. You don't have to read necessarily in the
order I have listed them.

1. http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
2. http://community.apache.org/newcomers/index.html
3. http://community.apache.org/gettingStarted/101.html
4. http://apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
5. http://apache.org/index.html#projects-list

Also, here is a mail that I got with suggestions from Ray Chiang on the
mapreduce-dev mailing list (Apache Hadoop project).
--------------------------
Ray Chiang rchiang@cloudera.com via
<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1311182?hl=en> hadoop.apache.org
Jul 13 (13 days ago)
to mapreduce-dev
Welcome aboard.

I'd recommend reading the HowToContribute wiki for understanding the
contribution process.

For other tips on getting started, there is the "newbie" label in JIRA, but
it's an imperfect sorting.  I recommend doing the following:

1) Look at unit test JIRAs, both open and closed.  Tons of benefits:
they'll help you understand some part of the API, some could use some
comments and enhancements, etc.
2) Pick a component (ResourceManager, NodeManager, MR APIs, DataNode,
NameNode, etc.) and focus on that to start.  It's easier than trying to
understand it all at once.
3) Participate in some code reviews.  It will be non-binding, but testing
out other code can help you understand some part.

Hope that helps...
- Ajoy