community-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Incubating, Graduating & Code of conduct @ The ASF (spin-off of Better specifying....)
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2015 14:52:12 GMT
On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> I find myself disgusted by this widespread assumption that each project
> needs its own bylaws. WTF for? Are not ASF policies and practices enough
> for everyone? What sort of bylaws could you possibly invent that are
> both a useful extension of these policies and practices /and/ are not
> applicable to other projects?

Here's the historical rationale for per-project bylaws, which explains
why it's in the TLP resolution template:

  http://s.apache.org/why-project-bylaws

  Apache doesn't have a single set of project bylaws/guidelines because
  we want projects to be self-governing...

Speaking with the benefit of hindsight not available to those who
blazed the trail, my assessment is that while the idea of making
projects think about governance is laudable, drafting bylaws is too
difficult a problem to be tackled by each new TLP.  Minute drafting
errors cause large problems.

Marvin Humphrey