community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCON CORE? ApacheCon!
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 12:55:00 GMT

On 07/01/2015 07:43 AM, jan i wrote:
> On 1 July 2015 at 13:31, Pierre Smits <pierre.smits@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> ApacheCon in itself doesn't eat into the impact of the joint event 'Apache
>> Big Data', as that name doesn't have Con attached to Apache in all
>> promotions done up to now... Or dilutes the branding impact of that event.
>>
> Actually while we discussed it, one of the ideas was "apacheCON: big data",
> but
> LF preferred "apache big data" and since it is their event they choose.

Yes, this is the most important point here, which we will continue to
emphasize. We have licensed our marks to LF to put on an event for us,
because they are competent professionals and we're not. My job as
ApacheCon lead is to ensure that we, the ASF community, stay out of
their way and let them do a great event. We, the ASF community, have a
long history of tinkering, micromanaging, and generally interfering with
conference producers. All well intentioned, of course, but it hasn't
worked. It's time to try something new.

>> Is there a negative connotation with the name that it would benefit from
>> the CORE extension?
>>
> No just to avoid some confusion. Think of our homepage, travel assistance,
> reports etc, that
> is all done combined for the 2 events.
>
> Let me put it like I see it personally, despite contracts, producers etc,
> and please bear
> in mind, other people have different views.
>
> to me the total "thing" is apacheCON, that consist of 2 unique events (big
> data and core).

Yes. For the moment. And the longer-term goal is to build those brands
further in order that they can fly on their own. See, for example, what
OReilly has done over the last 15 years while we've been protecting our
one brand. You can't swing a stick without hitting an OReilly event. And
they're doing that with content that they don't own. Also note that LF
had done this successfully for years - see
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/ for what they have grown the
venerable "LinuxCon" name into.

No, I absolutely don't believe that we are diluting our brand.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon