community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Apache Extras, Google Code and Sourceforge
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2015 17:05:21 GMT
Edited out private stuff and moved to ComDev list since we are now making decisions about Apache
Extras

To your options below:

We've always said Apache will provide no management of this other than to make it available.
To this end I propose we do b) (only the projects that are original to Apache Extras), which
includes projects with no content.

In terms of the name clash is it possible to provide a list of the 39 affected projects? If
so then we can prune any that are empty from that shorter list and attempt to notify the owners
of the others. Failing any response asking us to do otherwise I suggest we add an "ax-" prefix
to those project names (I am assuming this is just the project name in URLs and similar).

One other thing that will need to be done once migration is complete is an update of DNS.
http://apache-extras.com currently redirects to https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/

Finally we'll need to read over the FAQ to update appropriately (I can do that) - http://community.apache.org/apache-extras/faq.html

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:ke4qqq@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 9:09 AM
To: Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
Cc: Jim Jagielski
Subject: Re: Apache Extras, Google Code and Sourceforge

So dropping the SF folks again.

Some updates on what we've found.
In total, there are around 350 projects in the A-E directory on google code.

Of those 350, 161 are mirrors of content from elsewhere. Some of them are even mirrors of
other projects within Apache Extras, which is just bewildering.

That leaves us with 189 projects that are original with us. In doing some spot checking, we've
discovered that many of those contain zero content, or perhaps only a single commit, with
no material code.
Daniel believes that perhaps as many as 1/2 of the original projects contain nothing meaningful.

In short, migrating all 350 doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, and I'd argue makes it more
difficult to find anything of value.

We did do checking on the ~189 projects that are original to us, 150 of those we could migrate
straight away (subject to the above
comments) however,  39 have name conflicts at SourceForge, so we would need to rename them.

That leaves us with a few questions:
Does ComDev want us to migrate:
a) all 350
b) only the projects that are original at Apache Extras
c) only the projects at Apache Extras that are original and actually have content - and if
c) - please provide a list.

What would ComDev like to rename the projects where naming collisions are in place?

--David