community-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is https://projects-new.apache.org/ ready for prime time?
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:46:55 GMT
On 26 June 2015 at 07:12, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.boutemy@free.fr> wrote:
> that's why I want to switch projects to projects-old and projects-new to
> projects: be able to work on extracting documentation from projects-old and
> updating it to match the new location

That will break the existing links.

If you want do the switch ahead of fixing the documentation, then one
way to do it is to ensure that projects-old is set up to point to the
current projects.a.o.

Then change projects-new to link to projects-old instead of projects -
that should be trivial to do.

Then projects-new can replace projects.a.o.

Documentation can then be migrated to the new code in the old URL.

> I proposed http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/comdev/projects.apache.org/data/ as
> the new location of DOAP files lists (both PMC and projects) but got no answer

Did not see that.

That will break projects-old, so -1 until projects-old has been
retired unless you can find a way to keep projects-old working with
the new location.

AFAIK it's not necessary to move the location.

> if we're ok with that new location, the next step is to stop modifying
> equivalent files in http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects/
(or even remove them) but point to the new location

> Of course, if ok with the new location, we can immediately add committees.xml
> and projects.xml pointers to https://projects-new.apache.org/about.html
> IMHO the simple file names and location in about.html would make things very
> clear before diggin into more details on DOAP format and conventions (which
> could be in the Wiki for ease of editing)
>

> can we agree:
> 1. on the new data location and content:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/comdev/projects.apache.org/data/

No, see above.

> 2. on the switch then update of everything to match the new location (and stop
> updating projects-old)

Not entirely, see above.

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le jeudi 25 juin 2015 09:17:32 vous avez écrit :
>> On 25 June 2015 at 06:53, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.boutemy@free.fr> wrote:
>> > Sebb,
>> >
>> > as main maintainer of current http://projects.apache.org/ (AFAIK), are you
>> > ok with switching the url to the new service and renaming current service
>> > to projects-old (to let use time to continue content migration withotu
>> > loosing anything)? Do you see any show stopper?
>>
>> The main item missing from projects-new is documentation - it
>> currently points to projects.
>> It's not immediately obvious how to provide data for the site.
>> I think the main page needs to provide more of an overview.
>>
>> I think the first step needs to be to improve the projects-new
>> documentation so it does not rely on the current project pages.
>>
>> Also I notice that it seems p-new relies on parsing
>> http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
>> which in turn parses other data sources.
>>
>> That needs to be fixed.
>>
>> > Of course, I'm interested in your help to maintain the new projects site:
>> > don't hesitate to comment on or change the code.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Hervé

AFAIK.

I find

> [...]