community-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <ke4...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Extras, Google Code and Sourceforge
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:53:22 GMT
On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Edited out private stuff and moved to ComDev list since we are now making decisions about
Apache Extras

> To your options below:
>
> We've always said Apache will provide no management of this other than to make it available.
To this end I propose we do b) (only the projects that are original to Apache Extras), which
includes projects with no content.

> In terms of the name clash is it possible to provide a list of the 39 affected projects?
If so then we can prune any that are empty from that shorter list and attempt to notify the
owners of the others. Failing any response asking us to do otherwise I suggest we add an "ax-"
prefix to those project names (I am assuming this is just the project name in URLs and similar).

The collisions are at the bottom of this paste.:
https://paste.apache.org/4hpd

You'll notice some are things like 'maven' which is interesting,
because we have Maven as a TLP.
But on closer inspection - Maven seems to have no content:
https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/maven/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk

Similar story on Jena and a number of others.

--David

DNS. http://apache-extras.com currently redirects to https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/

> Finally we'll need to read over the FAQ to update appropriately (I can do that) - http://community.apache.org/apache-extras/faq.html
>
> Ross

of other projects within Apache Extras, which is just bewildering.

> That leaves us with 189 projects that are original with us. In doing some spot checking,
we've discovered that many of those contain zero content, or perhaps only a single commit,
with no material code.
> Daniel believes that perhaps as many as 1/2 of the original projects contain nothing
meaningful.

> In short, migrating all 350 doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, and I'd argue makes
it more difficult to find anything of value.

> We did do checking on the ~189 projects that are original to us, 150 of those we could
migrate straight away (subject to the above