community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Better specifying the scope of our Code of Conduct
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2015 18:04:25 GMT

On 06/30/2015 12:37 PM, Stefan Reich wrote:
> I'm almost tired of criticizing so much, but... I think a "code of conduct"
> is evil legalese and should be abandoned.
>
> Like Jesus said: "Love is the only law you need."

Unfortunately, that hasn't worked out for us so far.

A CoC serves several real needs. Publicly stating that we have such an
expectation makes the ASF more welcoming to joiners. It also makes
explicit some of the expectations for people who bull through life
without thinking about their interactions.

Google for 'why we need a code of conduct' and then click on a link at
random and you'll get a more articulate statement of why this is
absolutely critical to an organization like ours that spans cultures,
timezones, projects, and many other borders.

It is simply not the case that people just naturally know the right way
to behave. And it is the case that we need to have given careful thought
to what we're going to do about it when people are jerks.

Even Jesus violently threw people out of the temple when they broke the
code of conduct.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon