community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Shared ASF calendars
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 14:06:50 GMT

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
> <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> You can ask infra, but I don't see this as a viable cross project service since confluence
>> is not standards across all projects. Personally I'd say don't bother. If you have
a solution
>> for Geode then you should stick with that for now. If others ask then we can think
about
>> asking infra. But I don't think adding to infra management overhead is a good idea
without
>> good cause (managing plugins for Confluence has been a problem in the past.
>
> The only reason for the request would be to manage Calendars on ASF INFRA
> while not requiring yet *another* account to be known and shared among
> community members. The pain is really along the same lines you're describing
> at the end of your email saying 'Melissa has  the keys'. I was trying to figure
> out a way of how to avoid this single point of calendar management.

Google Calendars are eminently shareable. If we continue to do event
management in a google cal, we can both share that out to numerous
people, as well as aggregate numerous sub-calendars into one place.
Also, being iCalendar-based, we can at some later date export and import
into another tool if we choose.

>> We do need a better solution for cross project event tracking. I do have something
>> "in the works" and I've been given a push by Rich's recent work on a script to pull
>> data from meetup.com. However when this will be available is dependent on my
>> time (and interest) or that of people willing to volunteer.
>
> Is this something you can share? It would really great to have an ASF tool
> we all can use. However little cycles I've got I may be able to help at least
> somewhat.

This was discussed on this list at the end of last week, and is in
comdev svn at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/tools

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon