community-dev mailing list archives

From Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.bout...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Is https://projects-new.apache.org/ ready for prime time?
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2015 21:15:37 GMT
Le vendredi 26 juin 2015 17:46:55 sebb a écrit :
> On 26 June 2015 at 07:12, Hervé BOUTEMY <herve.boutemy@free.fr> wrote:
> > that's why I want to switch projects to projects-old and projects-new to
> > projects: be able to work on extracting documentation from projects-old
> > and
> > updating it to match the new location
>
> That will break the existing links.
>
> If you want do the switch ahead of fixing the documentation, then one
> way to do it is to ensure that projects-old is set up to point to the
> current projects.a.o.
>
> Then change projects-new to link to projects-old instead of projects -
> that should be trivial to do.
>
> Then projects-new can replace projects.a.o.
>
> Documentation can then be migrated to the new code in the old URL.
yes, of course, these are the exact steps: I just summarised

> > I proposed http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/comdev/projects.apache.org/data/
> > as
> > the new location of DOAP files lists (both PMC and projects) but got no
> > answer
> Did not see that.
>
> That will break projects-old, so -1 until projects-old has been
> retired unless you can find a way to keep projects-old working with
> the new location.
the idea is to let old data in the old location and not update it any more:
this won't break anything, just make projects-old less accurate over time
that's not an issue IMHO, since we expect to migrate the doc and shutdown
projects-old after that, in a few monthes

notice that I think the cron job that updates projects-old should be switched
off to avoid issues

> AFAIK it's not necessary to move the location.
?
previously, you told having projects-new depending on projects-old was an
issue and you were right!
and IMHO, it's an issue just because data in projects-old is hard to find for
someone not expert in the whole system

I'll start to add comments in projects-old data to point to projects-new to
start the transition

then we'll have to agree on when to really switch (and find who can do it)

Regards,

Hervé

> > if we're ok with that new location, the next step is to stop modifying
> > equivalent files in
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects/
> > (or even remove them) but point to the new location
> >
> > Of course, if ok with the new location, we can immediately add
> > committees.xml and projects.xml pointers to
> > https://projects-new.apache.org/about.html IMHO the simple file names and
> > location in about.html would make things very clear before diggin into
> > more details on DOAP format and conventions (which could be in the Wiki
> > for ease of editing)
> >

> > can we agree:
> > 1. on the new data location and content:
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/comdev/projects.apache.org/data/
>
> No, see above.
>
> > 2. on the switch then update of everything to match the new location (and
> > stop updating projects-old)
>
> Not entirely, see above.
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé

> >> The main item missing from projects-new is documentation - it
> >> currently points to projects.
> >> It's not immediately obvious how to provide data for the site.
> >> I think the main page needs to provide more of an overview.
> >>
> >> I think the first step needs to be to improve the projects-new
> >> documentation so it does not rely on the current project pages.
> >>
> >> Also I notice that it seems p-new relies on parsing
> >> http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
> >> which in turn parses other data sources.
> >>
> >> That needs to be fixed.

On New

Projects page.

ASF

> [...]