community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" <sallykhuda...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Request for video documentary initiative to introduce Apache projects to the public
Date Thu, 28 May 2015 09:53:40 GMT
Ack. Thank you, Benedikt!

[From the mobile; please excuse top-posting, spelling/spacing errors, and brevity]

----- Reply message -----
From: "Benedikt Ritter" <britter@apache.org>
To: <dev@community.apache.org>, "Sally Khudairi" <sk@apache.org>, "George Syrimis"
<gmsyrimis@gmail.com>
Subject: Request for video documentary initiative to introduce Apache projects to the public
Date: Thu, May 28, 2015 03:58

As discussed, I'm forwarding this to dev@community.a.o.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org>
Date: 2015-05-05 11:38 GMT+02:00
To: Members - Apache <members@apache.org>
Cc: ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>

Hello fellow ASF-ers (+ PMCs blindcopied) --I hope you are all well.

Last week I was contacted by George Syrimis, who is interested in producing a video documentary
series that would introduce the breadth of Apache projects to the public at-large.

The final presentations will be ~7-15 minutes in duration per project*. Interviews will be
conducted with PMC members either in-person or via video chat as appropriate.

George has confirmed that this is an independent project (no corporate branding or backing)
and that the final products may be published on the ASF's YouTube channel.

He is extremely motivated on showcasing all TLPs (at a minimum) and would like to get started
as soon as possible.

His request for the initial projects to be interviewed are Open NLP and Apache Commons Lang.

He also would like to interview members of the original Apache Group, both to document the
project's 20th anniversary, and to showcase the talent behind the project that started it
all at the ASF.

I have grilled George extensively to ensure that the project won't be abandoned, particularly
as the scale is quite large and potentially exhaustive on resources. His response:

"I won't stop half way through, plus it will be a documentary series, meaning small bits every
time so I'm sure the community will feel proud of its existence and progress along the way.
If this was a big budget full feature (meaning over 1 hour of footage on the final cut) documentary
backed by investors that want something specific and then they cut funding, I'd worry. BUT
this is my personal production and I am excited to tell a good story with Apache as my subject.
I will work around any obstacle."

Examples of work by his production team can be found at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4aDSine2rg

and

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4povn3oyl1iee49/Sbucks_BC_1.mpeg?dl=0

I'd like to go ahead with this, and would love your backing. If your PMC is interested in
participating, please let me know, along with the name(s) and physical location(s) of those
able to be interviewed.

Thanks in advance for your support!

-Sally

* he indicated that he may have a full length documentary posted after 20 videos or so for
the people that like the longer format.

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter