community-dev mailing list archives

From Patricia Shanahan <p...@acm.org>
Subject Re: What might an open source class look like?
Date Thu, 07 May 2015 09:16:41 GMT
On 5/7/2015 12:15 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> In my experience students didn't care much about licenses and open
> source vs. proprietary legal/business aspects, what made them tick was
> realizing that they can be active actors in open source as opposed to
> just being told what to do with some software. And discovering the
> open source way of collaborating.

Although it may not be the most exciting of topics for students,
licensing issues are important. However, I've sometimes seen too much
emphasis put on it as an open source specific issue. "What are the
license terms? Are they compatible with the planned use?" needs to be
asked any time software is being selected, regardless of whether it is
proprietary or open source.