community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Captcha on Apache mirror
Date Tue, 05 May 2015 12:49:53 GMT

On 05/05/2015 08:36 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> I just tried to download Maven and randomly selected a download mirror;
>> http://apache.petsads.us/maven/maven-3/3.3.3/binaries/apache-maven-3.3.3-bin.tar.gz
>>
>> But get presented with a captcha, and I think that is not expected/allowed
>> since it might break automated tools.
>>

> Good question.
>
> For information:
>
> The captcha on that site is shown by CloudFlare, that serves as a
> proxy for them,
> https://www.cloudflare.com/5xx-error-landing
>
> Maybe there was a reason for it.
>
> http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html
> "How to become a mirror" - does not say anything about captchas,
> though it says "Your mirror must not be shown "inside" another site
> using, for instance, frames."

Pretty sure that

You must not modify the mirrored tree in any way. In particular,
HEADER.html and README.html files must not be altered or removed ; see
below for adding sponsor information.

covers this behavior.

The reason that the site doesn't mention captchas was that the term
didn't exist when this document was written. However, "modify" is
general enough that it's covered.

For whatever it's worth, I don't get a captcha at that URL - I get the
expected file. Probably some transitory problem that has since cleared up.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon