community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Events calendar
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 21:09:10 GMT
To get people involved we need to provide value. Today, we offer no value. So, if I may, I
would like to answer a slightly different question. The one I want to answer is "how can we
provide value so that PMCs will proactively maintain a central events calendar?" Here's my
starting answer, more ideas very welcome...

VP Brand has added a clause to the events policy that requires avoidance of event date clashes.

Marketing is ramping up on a quarterly report that, once we are in the swing of things, will
be broadly distributed (and thus provide visibility for events listed in the calendar).

We have a budget for stickers and other such giveaways at community events, we won't ship
those unless it's on the calendar.

More?....

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Bowen [mailto:rbowen@rcbowen.com]
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 2:01 PM
To: dev
Subject: Events calendar

Today I found out about yet another Apache event that is almost here and I hadn't heard about
before.

I also noticed that http://www.apache.org/events/ is ... kinda embarrassing.

This, in conjunction with Jan's question a week ago about who managed the calendar on people.a.o,
which is completely a separate thing from the calendar I thought he was talking about - the
Google calendar, at http://community.apache.org/calendars/conferences.html - makes me wonder
why this is so hard for us.

So, two questions:

1) What other calendars are out there, and what can we do to consolidate them?

2) How can we get PMCs to put their events in that consolidated calendar, once it exists,
so that we don't have all of these last-minute event surprises, and, also, so that we can
help in promoting our communities' events?

Suggestions welcome.

I, for one, am a fan of nuking every calendar we come across, and publishing the above Google
Calendar all over the place, and then making a google form for people to submit events.

--Rich

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com - @rbowen http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon