community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Events calendar
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:59:11 GMT

On 04/10/2015 04:09 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) wrote:
> To get people involved we need to provide value. Today, we offer no value. So, if I may,
I would like to answer a slightly different question. The one I want to answer is "how can
we provide value so that PMCs will proactively maintain a central events calendar?" Here's
my starting answer, more ideas very welcome...

The obvious thing, to me, is that if you put your events into a calendar
that I can easily find, I will tweet about those events.

> VP Brand has added a clause to the events policy that requires avoidance of event date
clashes.

Yeah, if we don't know about your event, it's hard to schedule ApacheCon
to avoid them. And vice versa.

> Marketing is ramping up on a quarterly report that, once we are in the swing of things,
will be broadly distributed (and thus provide visibility for events listed in the calendar).

> We have a budget for stickers and other such giveaways at community events, we won't
ship those unless it's on the calendar.

> More?....

people.a.o, which is completely a separate thing from the calendar I thought he was talking
about - the Google calendar, at http://community.apache.org/calendars/conferences.html - makes
me wonder why this is so hard for us.

> So, two questions:
>
> 1) What other calendars are out there, and what can we do to consolidate them?
>
> 2) How can we get PMCs to put their events in that consolidated calendar, once it exists,
so that we don't have all of these last-minute event surprises, and, also, so that we can
help in promoting our communities' events?

> Suggestions welcome.
>
> I, for one, am a fan of nuking every calendar we come across, and publishing the above
Google Calendar all over the place, and then making a google form for people to submit events.