community-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Kienenberger <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Veto! Veto?
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 16:59:37 GMT
On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> The board, and comdev, will say "here's how we think things should go",
> but there's a lot of room between a mature project like httpd, where
> someone has 20 years worth of information to read about how to get started,
> and a newer project like, say, Open Climate Workbench, which requires a
> deep understanding of climate science to contribute meaningfully**, which
> completely justifies different levels of "barrier to entry" when it comes
> to inviting committers.
>
> ** Note: This is a hypothetical example. I don't actually know anything
> about OCW. Please don't get bogged down in the example if I'm mistaken.

Here's a better not-quite-so-hypothetical example.   A project like MyFaces
has to pass the TCK testing suite provided by Oracle.   We would not want
to allow unrestricted commit access by someone who did not
understand profoundly and intuitively that the JSF API portion of the
project has a predefined public API which cannot be changed.