community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: GitLab?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 05:30:14 GMT
An excellent thought, but every service adds overhead on the infra team. If there were enough
projects demanding it I guess we would find a way of providing it. So how many projects demand
it? Do infra feel that that is "enough"?

What if infra provided VMs and PMCs managed the instances themselves (with essential stuff
like Git managed by infra - assuming that kind if configuration is possible)

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Niclas Hedhman<mailto:niclas@hedhman.org>
Sent: ‎3/‎4/‎2015 7:25 PM
To: dev@community.apache.org<mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
Subject: GitLab?

Opening a new thread...

Git without Github is like sex without a partner, sufficient but not very
satisfactory. Github option has been explored in the past, and due to
various reasons, it was not possible to achieve.

But, during my last 2-3 year absence, has the GitLab[1] option been
discussed and/or tried? GitLab is open sourced, can run on our infra and
has many of the essential features of Github.
But perhaps people are satisfied enough with the Github mirroring that is
already in place, but with GitLab in house, we could (in theory) add
features around licensing (like ICLA style assurance, similar to Jira), and
non-committers could(!) be allowed a direct route to the horse's mouth...

Although the Enterprise system cost money, my guess is that GitLab would be
happy to waive fees and give us access to EE.

Just a thought.

[1] https://about.gitlab.com/features/

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer