community-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: What's the ideal job title for somebody who is payed to help ASF communities grow?
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2015 21:45:04 GMT
Who said we allow it for engineers? My position is the same for any community member no matter
what they do.

Ross

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: Roman Shaposhnik<mailto:roman@shaposhnik.org>
Sent: ‎3/‎8/‎2015 2:39 PM
To: ComDev<mailto:dev@community.apache.org>
Subject: Re: What's the ideal job title for somebody who is payed to help ASF communities
grow?

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm -1 on using "Apache Foo" in a job title. It great confusion between the paid role
and the community role.
> The community role is not attached to a paid role. It is connected to the individual.

Like I said -- I consider it unfair if we allow it for engineers, but
for community managers.
And before we get all brand-conscious let me remind you guys that
there's a significant
premium being placed on 'Software Engineer, Apache FOO' when it comes
to LinkedIN
and resumes in general. I know, I know -- excessive fascination and
all that, but lets
be realistic. The fact that ppl. DO want that badge of honor is one of
the major driving
factors in growth of quite a few communities around ASF.

> I see no reason why individuals can't also use ASF titles where appropriate.

Can you elaborate how?

> I see no problem with a product title that is associated with an Apache project in ways
> permitted by our trademark policy. I don't understand why you say "what about things
> like Apache Cloudstack" there is no product named "Cloudstack".

Exactly! So while I can be "Databricks cloud community manager" I
can't be "Cloudstack
community manager" according to your preference.

> So, for example, a title of "technical/community evangelist Product Foo" and a reference
> to "Committer Apache Bar" or similar is fine.

True. But it has no way of fitting on a business card.

Thanks,
Roman.