community-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheCon] Scheduling help, pass 2
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:27:09 GMT
On Mar 11, 2015, at 2:56 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> Craig has mentioned me that we have several slots that have opened up due to cancellations.
>
> Looks to me that we have two in Science, one in "Big Data; Big Picture", two in "Content".
and one in “Mobile"

Hi Rich,

Are you still looking to fill the two science talks? I have reached out to academic colleagues
in Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Houston area to consider attending the conference. One of
them expressed interest to give a talk. This might appeal to the science track attendees.
Here are the details for consideration:

Abstract:
This talk will discuss the GenApp framework, a new open framework generating code on a set
of scientific modules that is easily extensible to new environments.  For example, one can
take a set of module definitions and generate a complete HTML5/PHP science gateway and a Qt4/GUI
application on the identical set of modules.  If a new technology comes along, the framework
can easily be extended to new “target languages” by including appropriate code fragments
without effecting the underlying modules. One motivation for the development was based upon
observation of the life cycle of scientific lab generated code, which frequently is underfunded
and developed by overburdened researchers.  Many times useful code and routines are lost with
the retirement or redirected interest of the scientists.  One goal for this framework is to
insure good scientific software be preserved in an ever evolving software landscape without
the expense of a full time CS staff.  This framework is currently being used to wrap scientific
code performing small angle scattering computations, but is not restricted to any one discipline.
 A successful GSoC 2014 project integrated GenApp with Apache Airavata for execution of modules
on variously managed cluster resources in the HTML5/PHP, Qt3/GUI and Qt4/GUI “target languages”.
  In this presentation, Emre Brookes will explain the framework, demonstrate its application
and discuss his plans for growing the community.

Bio:
Emre is an assistant professor in the Department of Biochemistry at the University of Texas
Health Science Center at San Ant   To provide the scientific community access to these methods,
he created the first UltraScan Science Gateway, which has since migrated to Apache Airavata.
 These methods annually use millions of cpu hours of parallel resources supporting scientific
research world wide.  His work concentrates on developing tools for analysis of scientific
experimental data.  He is the primary developer of the US-SOMO hydrodynamic modeling suite
http://somo.uthscsa.edu and is actively involved with the hydrodynamic modeling, small-angle
scattering and high-performance computational communities. He has given over 30 talks at conferences
in these areas and has, as of this writing, contributed to 29 peer reviewed publications.
 His most recent work, GenApp, focuses on developing an open framework to ease deployment
of new and legacy scientific codes.

Let me know if this if of interest and I can follow up.

Suresh

> If you have any insight into any of these areas, please let me know what talk(s) you
think we should swap in for those missing talks. Just get in touch with me and I'll send you
what remains of the track, so that you know what we're working with.